03 May 2015

The Accidental Art of Dis-Pleasing


I get it. I'm old.

I grew up in an age... well, also in a place... of mutual respect and giving. Not giving of money or material things, but of time, effort, caring, and pulling together. No doubt you've heard tell of barn raisin's and the like? It's not a myth. I attended a few in my youth. Granted, the A-dults did all the heavy work, but the kids witnessed the intangible generosity and fellowship.

...and partook in the tasty grub.
Small town mentality may be passe, but it certainly had that going for it - people pitching in to help one another the best they could; banding together to solve myriad plights like building a barn in a day for a neighbor, or searching for a lost dog.

Shout Out, Landertown!!
The world has moved on.

No one appreciates, they expect.

If their expectations don't come to complete fruition - say, their dog isn't found even though you searched for a month every spare minute you had, not only did you not help at all, somehow it ends up being your fault the dog wasn't found. Hell, if you wait long enough you may find you're to blame for the dog missing in the first place.

Because the mentality of this new age, apparently, is not the effort - it's the results. If the dog isn't found - you've done nothing to find it. For had you done anything at all - anything worthy - anything of note - the dog would have been found. Simple as that. Don't you understand??? (Nope, me neither - but it's what I'm told).

So... if busting my butt to help you out gives me the same accolades (or lack thereof) as, say, ignoring your dilemma, staying home and drinking a glass of wine...

Guess which option I'm taking the next time your dog goes missing.

As much as I hate to admit the actions of one other human being is causing me to change a core value of mine, I'm taking my ball and going home.

The next time anyone says they "need" my help, I'm handing them the frigging phone book and pouring myself a glass of wine.

Cheers!

No comments:

pass the popcorn, please!