26 April 2011

nice OLD surprise

...
A friend of mine lent me a book the other day.  Published in 1927, and "coined from a life of love, laughter and work, by a man who achieved greatly in literature, art, philosophy and business... gathered together by Elbert Hubbard II. Done into a book by the Roycrofters, at their shops which are located in East Aurora, Erie County, New York and Published by Wm. H. Mist & Co, New York, NY..." - The Note Book of Elbert Hubbard.

I've not coveted anything like this before in my life. If there were a hell, I'd be headed there for envy toward my friend for owning this book. It's a wonderful piece.  It fills my heart with joy; found on each page another treasure.

I love old things. (...but, not people. Old people are not things, and they make me uncomfortable - probably because I see my future self locked inside the walnut shell of a body time and nature leave us as when we've survived their wringer of life.)

I adore this book... so much. Not only is it bound with ribbon, with crisp and cracking pages - it's rich with insight and truth. So much so, I've added the first quote of the book to my blog page.

Tangent ~ On facebook the other day, a young friend indicated how quotations aren't necessarily to be believed as they're not easily researched for accuracy. Twitx I say, "All it takes is a little fortitude and a library of books... or the internet."  If you know where to look and what sites are reputable, you can find out in a flash.  Or, you can grab the dead tree version and learn for yourself. I find it amusing these children believe carte blanche everything their almighty college professors say, but question the authenticity of intelligent quotes.  Have pen, will scribble.  Have podium, will brainwash.

"[Elbert Hubbard] knows that freedom to think and act, without withholding that right from any other, evolves humanity. Therefore he gives his best energy to inspiring men and women to think and to act, each for himself."

On center, page 1:

"The Supreme prayer of my heart is not to be learned, rich, famous, powerful or even good, but simply be radiant. I desire to radiate health, cheerfulness, calm courage and good-will. I wish to live without hate, whim, jealousy, envy , fear. I wish to be simple, honest, frank, natural, clean in mind and clean in body, unaffected - to say 'I do not know,' if it be so, and to meet all men on an absolute equality, to face any obstacle and meet every difficulty unabashed and unafraid. I wish others to live their lives, too, up to their highest, fullest and best. To that end I pray that I may never meddle, interfere, dictate, give advice that is not wanted, or assist when my services are not needed. If I can help people, I'll do it by giving them a chance to help themselves; and if I can uplift or inspire, let it be by example, inference and suggestion, rather than by injunction and dictation.  That is to say, I desire to be Radiant ~ to Radiate Life!"

This book is priceless. Not for what its worth in the book mart as an old tome, but for the timeless messages within.

I've been blessed for the short time I'll have 'possession' of the Note Book of Elbert Hubbard.

In Joy & Enjoy

2 comments:

zirelda said...

Quite interesting.

I like the quote you added too.

Sandra Miller Linhart said...

Thank you - It really quite sums the whole thing up nicely.

Thanks for reading. :o)

pass the popcorn, please!