28 March 2011

Once in a while

...
I sit back and let the words soak in:
...to win the respect of intelligent people... to earn the appreciation of honest critics ... [to] endure the betrayal of false friends...

I posted a poem a bit ago - maybe a couple of years.  It's one of my favorites.  I feel a need to post it again.
By Veronica A. Shofstall:

Comes the Dawn

After a while you learn the subtle difference
   between holding a hand and chaining a soul
And you learn that love doesn't mean leaning
   and company doesn't always mean security.
And you begin to learn that kisses aren't contracts
   and presents aren't promises
And you begin to accept your defeats
   with your head up and your eyes ahead
   with the grace of a woman, not the grief of a child
And you learn to build all your roads on today
   because tomorrow's ground is too uncertain for plans
   and futures have a way of falling down in mid-flight.

After a while you learn that even sunshine burns
   if you get too much.

So you plant your own garden and decorate your own soul
   instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers.

And you learn that you really can endure
   that you are really strong
   and you really do have worth,
And you learn and you learn
   with every good-bye you learn...

...

8 comments:

cell92 said...

Dear Mrs. Linhart,

It’s a very wise poem which reflects the reality of life.

Thank you for posting it again.

We should make the most of our time. Life proceeds at a gallop, but after the years we see everything with new eyes and I think that’s a blessing.

As always I enjoy reading your blog posts. Thank you for sharing.


v/r

Petra Rauschert

Sandra Miller Linhart said...

Thank you, Petra. I appreciate your kindness.

zirelda said...

That is a good poem.

I've heard it's been cold at home?

Sandra Miller Linhart said...

It's been quite chilly and breezy... and are you rubbing my nose in it? If you want to rub something, my feet are still available. hehehe

How's FL? I noticed the news yesterday - a Hurricane is supposed to hit hard there today - right near where you are. Have they started evacuating you yet?

Anonymous said...

Thank you.
Just what I needed, when I needed it.

Sandra Miller Linhart said...

You're welcome. I needed a dose of her poem as well. It never ceases to bring me back to reality.

zirelda said...

Funny funny lady.

No, but we almost had a tornado.

Crazy.

Sandra Miller Linhart said...

That was my poor attempt at an April Fool's prank. Did it work? Did it make you check the weather channel?

Are you home yet?

pass the popcorn, please!