29 July 2008

Menopausal Much?

I just got done talking to my sister (again). I have to tell you I'm having a crazy day today - not that it's hectic, more that I'm acting/thinking crazy.

First, you need to know I left my Black Cohosh in the mountains, and came home to clean up the girls' room while they're gone...

That said...

So, Sis tells me she wants to win the lottery so she can give lots of money to the Make-A-Wish foundation... and I lost it (not temper - tears).

Why is it the little cherubs who've been encased in love the entire 1825 days (plus or minus) on Earth get to have their wishes come true, only to depart this world and go to what all religions see as the ultimate Wish - Heaven?

Whereas the tender little American souls whose fathers and mothers work 24/7 to make ends meet - don't usurp social programs, but cannot afford to buy new clothing, much less a trip to Disney Land... or the tender little American souls who are beaten behind closed doors daily because Daddy/Mommy is a bully or on drugs (alcohol is a drug)... these little beings who try so hard to please, so much want to be loved or noticed... they get to live in quiet desperation, hoping someday their lives will get better. They dare to wish on one falling star after another, only to find out 10 years later their wishes were wasted on a meteor, not even a star. And when they've struggled through life... through disappointment after disappointment - no matter how high they've held their chin or how much they continued to hope and strive for a better life - they die at 90 never having seen the ocean, or a new pair of shoes, or having a Wish come true.

What's the answer, though? Suppose we made a Make-A-Hope foundation for these little American souls? Would they be happier after seeing the world one day, and then have to come back to their existence of day-by-day? Or would they see the world for what it has to offer, and then strive harder to make a better life for themselves as they grow up? Would kindness make their hearts grow bitter? Now knowing what they've been missing?

I have no answers. I wish I could take all those awkward little healthy American souls with scabbed knees and hand-me-down lives and give them a reason to hope, to believe and not ever give up. No matter how many times they're hit, or discouraged, or belittled, or abused. I wish I could wrap my arms around them and tell them, "This isn't what life is supposed to be. You drew the short straw, so pick your teeth with it and dare to be happy. This, too, shall pass."

Yeah, I'm a freak. Yeah, someone's going to write in and call me a pathetic, life-less, ignorant idiot because I don't see any value in the Make-A-Wish Foundation. But, that's okay, because there are many people who do - and that's all MAWF needs - caring, loving people to donate to their cause.

When I make my millions, I'm going to donate to American individuals who fall through the cracks, and - much like the power poles which line a busy street - nobody notices any more.

2 comments:

James A. Bowders said...

On the same level as these special organizations that treat the some more special than others, I would like to point the twisted finger of exclusion at you the home owner that have broken the bank to make good on your mortgage, that you have gone without to give the kids what the need, and still make the house payments, for those that have spent the nights in terrors because the fear of faulting on a loan. But of course I am referring to those of us that not only think but also take responsibility for our actions, those of us who do not blame the Credit Card companies for the debt we are in, and we have never considered the possibility of seeking relief on unpaid taxes. We have never cheated our companies out of pennies much less hundreds of thousands or millions. We have never used the system to reach a personal gain where we did not work for it or deserve it….but I digress.

I want to talk about the wonders of the politicians coming to the side of all those poor unfortunate home owners that bought into the idea of getting a mortgage that far exceeded their income to pay, that neglected to pay those monthly installments and are in the rears on payments. These and only these are the ones that will profit from this wondrous act of Congress.

So those of us that are holding our heads up and doing the responsible thing get the same thing we have gotten for years and will continue to get for years to come….nothing.

But what do I know?

Sandra Miller Linhart said...

I agree. I pay my mortgage on time and in full, and was pleased when the 20% of my 80/20 loan (which has an ARM - the 80% is a fixed rate) had its interest rate go down from 12.75 to 6.25% in just a matter of months... but then, after only being below 7% for a month, I noticed it has started to creep up again. It is now up to 8%. Now, tell me - has the economy really recovered that much in just one month? At all?
I just don't get it. I know, I need to refinance my ARM - but that will co$$$t, too. What is a single mother of five (I know - three of them are adults) to do?
p(m)s. did I tell you I did not qualify for the 'rebate' program - go figure. I didn't make enough income - hahahahahahahahah
hahahahahahaha

pass the popcorn, please!