07 July 2008

Achieving Peace and Love... and total enlightenment

First off, I want to wish Ringo Starr and David a Happy Birthday today. I hope Ringo's birthday wish of "Peace & Love" today comes true. As for David:

I attended the North Side Elementary School in my little town. While in second grade, Mrs. Polson's room, she marked all of our birthdays on her calendar, and when it came to my turn, I said in a weak, pathetic voice, "July 2nd." David  -  a classmate whom I didn't know - as this was the first day of school - jumped up and said, "Seventh? July 7th? Your birthday is the seventh? So's mine!"

At that point I wanted so much not to disappoint, but apologetically said, "No, the second."

David sat back down all dejected like and said, "Oh..."

So, happy birthday David. I hope you're more satisfied with sharing Richard Starkey's birthday than mine.

I have two revelations to make today. As I drifted off to sleep, I realized God is probably a female. She gives us a clue as she dictated the Ten Commandments... Let me explain.

1. Thou shalt have no other Gods before me. Thou shall not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing (cross? statues?) that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water underneath the earth. Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them, for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God... (Now isn't that just what a woman would say? Yeah, only a woman would put that much detail into her demands.)
2. Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain. (Now, I believe that to mean you shalt not make money off the name of God... but that's just me. And, I'm a woman.)
3. Remember the Sabbath (Saturday) and keep it holy. (Men changed it to Sunday...)
4. Honor thy father and thy mother... (Yeah, an all-powerful man would even remember to mention a mother in the day females were no more than chattel.)
5. Thou shalt not kill. (My mom told me and mein bruder that 24/7 - and my dad just always tried to kill us... I'm just saying... )
6. Thou shalt not commit adultery... (I think a man would have left that one out, Period.)
7. Thou shalt not steal. (I think either gender would agree with that one.)
8. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor...("I did not have sexual relations with that woman...Ms. Lewinsky.")
9. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife, nor his manservant, not his maidservant, not his ox, nor his ass, nor anything that is thy neighbor's. (Okay - why would a man covet his neighbor's ass???)

I never really found #10. The religions usually split #1 into two, but they are basically the same. Maybe 'Nine Commandments' wasn't as catchy...  or left the tablets lop-sided... Who knows?

My second revelation... I think my mother is going loop-de-loop. Her own revelation this weekend causes me to think such things. Somewhere in her vast search for 'the truth' she came across an article about an 80-year-old woman, who - in a controlled experiment, mind you - tripped on Magic Mushrooms and achieved total enlightenment. So, now Mom feels she'd like to take that Magical Mystery Tour (you're welcome, Ringo) herself...

Um... two things you really don't want to hear your mother say: "I've sold the house so you'll need to find another place to live." ...when you're barely 16 and... "I'd like to start experimenting with crazy-arsed drugs." ...thirty years later ...especially when you're absolutely, positively against mind-altering drugs. Period!

Enjoy & In Joy

3 comments:

James A. Bowders said...

Funny, how this revelation would strike you. Not funny ha-ha, but ironic that within the realm of positive social intercourse I have thought God to be a female, or a gender nonspecific entity. As you referenced the Ten Commandments I believe that they are mans poor explanation of complex and concise conceptional ideals explained in the simplest terms so that the uneducated man can understand the concept explained by use of relationship. The use of things the simple mind can understand.

Now don’t get me wrong, I have stated many times in the past that I believe Religion to be the world’s oldest means on controlling mankind and Government to be the second oldest form of control.

So if someone wants to experiment with mind altering drugs to find enlightenment I can only question the validity of the essence of the enlightenment. Being that if you are not in your right mind (being bent, stoned, toasted, etc.) the enlightenment is only a hollow echo of the reality that has been perverted and twisted by the effects of whatever drug was used to achieve this state. Judgment is the first aspect of impairment, I suggest that it is the simplest core of individual being, one’s judgment that becomes impaired allowing for the clouded veil of drug induced reality to twist to meaning of enlightenment.

As if in the minds own power it reaches for what only it can create and in doing so the creation will most likely be misinterpreted by the tripper because they do not possess the ability to recognize the truth.

“And in this enlightened state she had the realization that she could fly like a bird….so she climbed to the roof and stepped into space” Most of the birds I know are smart enough to realize they can take off from the ground.

But what do I know?

Sandra Miller Linhart said...

Even turkeys and penquins try to take off from the ground...

cell92 said...

Is God male or female? Brings up a good point!

In scriptures, God is always referred to as He - as are all his angels - incidentally. I think it's up to ones imagination. I believe that God has no gender. He is not human. He is greater than anything and everything.

Who knows - No one has the true answer for this. I also think this is one of those things we won't know for sure - until we get up to "heaven" and are asking God the millions of questions we've been waiting to ask.

pass the popcorn, please!