29 February 2008

Q&A

While walking around in a local business the other day, an elderly, nice woman approached me asking if I would mind taking a survey on their service…

Sure, why not. My life is just chalk-full of excitement.

“Address?”

“1600 Pennsylvania Avenue”

Quizzical look… “Where is that? Is that in [next nearest town]?”

“No, it’s the white house.”

Still not getting it, “It’s a white house, huh?” *strained laugh*

“No, it’s THE white house – you know, the one in Washington DC.?”

*blank stare*

“You know, the one in which the President resides?”

“Oh. Oh! I get it.” Then, she looks at me like I’m crazy.

“It does belong to the people, right?” I ask her. “Therefore, it’s my address, too.”

She looks at me for a long time, then looks down at her paper.

“Nationality? White? Hispanic? (and the rest)” She looks up warily…

“American,” I say.

She looks down at her paper. Seems there’s no block to check for that.

She looks up at me and gives me a wan smile.

“Thank you for your time.” And she walks away.

I love doing surveys, don’t you?

2 comments:

James A. Bowders said...

Oh, so do I…

I respond with these for the average of the surveys and applications I fill out…

Date of Birth: 9
Sex: Occasionally but not that often
Eyes: two, conveniently located astride of my nose
Hair: Yes, on most of my body
Height: 1930.4 mm
Weight: 17.857143 stones

Oh, the list goes on….

But what do I know?

Anonymous said...

Since when is your personal information supposed to be available in the public domain. The one I like? when you fill in an application on line, the very first thing they ask is your social. Before anyone has reviewed your app and determined you would even be perfect for an interview, they have snatched the one thing we are constantly being warned not to give out. You are unable to complete and submit the app without it! How is this constitutional or in your best interest? Do you suppose they farm those numbers out to the next illegal that has agreed to work excessive hours at less than minimum wage and in total violation of the law? Why would they need that info at that point? Interestingly enough, Congress has agreed to allow illegals to collect SS even if they never paid in. On the flip side, they are totally prepared to penalize retired Americans if after having applied for SS, it is determined that someone stole their ID and there's "too much money" in the account. It can cause you to be excluded from Medicare and additional government plans for RX and such. Talk about multiple taxation without representation. The porkers in congress seem to forget who put them there. I think we should give all of 'em sex change operations (as applies) and send them to the middle east where they can "service" the goats instead!

pass the popcorn, please!