16 January 2008

Up against the wall...

"There's one in the spotlight... he don't look right to me..."
.
Thieves. That’s what they are, you know, nothing but thieves.

X-spouses…not to be confused with espouses (which, ironically, means to marry - but also means to advocate) because I do not advocate the practice of stealing property from another (especially when said property was my property before I became just another piece of his property when I espoused him).

I just realized my Pink Floyd – The Wall CD is missing. Then, I started thinking back to the last time I remembered seeing it… which was in the boxes from GA I packed and placed in the corner of our family room – one process of many in becoming an exspouse - a corner I was delegated to have as my ‘space’ to place things belonging to me, for exspouse-two to return to me after he received payment for its weight (it’s a military thing)… So, shame on me. I believed all of my things would be returned to me… but as time goes on I find I’m not finding things. I find my boxes have been raped and pillaged. And, to add insult to injury, I was required to go retrieve said items as exspouse-two no longer felt the need to ‘honor’ his promise (another military thing) of returning them to me after he got paid handsomely for their weightiness. I guess after you break the promise of forsaking all others...

My antique desk – I found out he gave it to my ‘pretty’ neighbor. I hope Julia appreciates it. (She’s a good person. It’s okay she ended up with it.)
My trundle bed – I found out he later sold it… He told me he wanted it for the girls when they came to visit him… but, he just puts a mattress on the floor of the spare room for them instead. Ooh, comfy!

Oh, I was going to go on and on, but what’s the point?

The point is I bought that damned album/cassette/CD three times. 3 TIMES!

The first time it was the album. When exspouse-one enlisted, he told me I had to leave all of my personal belongings in his mother’s attic when we relocated, because, apparently, he wasn’t aware of the military ‘weight/pay’ thing exspouse-two was so hip on. Long story short - a year later when we came back to retrieve my belongings, it seems my belongings belonged more to his sisters… bye-bye Pizza Hut Care Bear glasses my brother gave me… bye-bye collection of coffee cups… bye-bye all my childhood memorabilia (two ceramic kittens hanging from a ceramic hot-air balloon – a gift from my brother and sister when I was, like, four - to name only one) and my children’s memorabilia as well. I hope Tyler, Britney and Bubba (yes, Bubba... *sigh*) enjoyed them all as much as we did. You are welcomed. Bye-bye wooden wall clocks my step-father made for me and I found hanging on my mother-in-law’s walls. (Now you know why the thought of losing everything in a fire is no threat to me… sometimes it doesn’t take a fire to lose all your belong-ings)

And, bye-bye all of my music albums – including Pink Floyd, The Wall…

Then, I purchased PF-TW in cassette form only to lose it a few years later to the same exspouse-one… which is funny (odd) because he fell asleep in the middle of the movie and I always thought he didn’t much care for Pink Floyd…

Fast forward a few years. I’m a single mom. I buy the CD.

Fast forward fifteen years… Exspouse-two hates PF-TW, but I guess he hates me more…

Maybe I was never meant to own PF-TW… (or be espoused) ...does anyone have a copy I can ‘borrow’ for a bit?

Yeah, it’s PMS Monday… and, all and all it’s just another brick in the wall.

4 comments:

James A. Bowders said...

When it comes to EX-spouses...

Sometimes you are the bear, sometimes you are the woods...but mostly you are the woods.

Oh, look! Here comes a bear.

But what do I know?

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed your blog today, very well done. I know what you mean about loss. Is there anything you gained in the absence of your belong-ings? I hope you received more than you lost. Sorry, I don't have a copy of PF-TW you can borrow, but maybe another will come your way - PF-TW I mean, not spouses!

Sandra Miller Linhart said...

Thank you. I appreciate that.

I've learned things are just things... belong-ings don't help you belong... but you only have a few years to mold and form... and twist and warp the minds of your children. Get to work!!
(Kidding, people!)
I think I keep getting married, then divorced because I really hate the idea of garage sales... and you have to get rid of the crap somehow.

Sandra Miller Linhart said...

so, James, does that mean you're getting married again?

(watch out for them bears!)

pass the popcorn, please!