19 October 2007

Work with me here...

So... I'm waiting for a dictionary from the 1920s to arrive at my house so I can continue to work on my current book(s).

Allow me to share another thought.

I find it funny when someone is trying to persuade you into doing or thinking what they're thinking or doing, they say to you in one form or another: "Work with me here."

Work with me here...

The school district bans peanuts/nuts - I ask the reason behind their logic and I get: "Work with me here..." from the school, from allergymom.com and from other opinionated parents. So... no nuts allowed.

That's it? That's the compromise? No - that's me bending over to your wishes.

Compromise - A settlement of differences in which each side makes concessions.

What concession, exactly, did the school district and M√ľnchhausen's-by-email-address-mom make?

Someone with whom I used to be involved would say to me "Work with me here" when I didn't agree with his decision. And, why should I agree every time? We are two separate individuals with two separate likes and dislikes - just because we were a couple didn't mean our brains melded. It's my life, too. (notice the word ‘too’ - means also.)

Never, not once, did the man concede.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. - The great and powerful Wizard of Odd has spoken.)

"Work with me here" means - Do it my way, or else. No working it out involved.

The religious sect - whether Catholic, Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Prot... I don't have enough time to list them all - They all want the other one to "work with me here" by allowing prayer in school, but no chanting in the streets... light the Empire State Building in green, but don't you dare put up a Christmas tree in public... None of your religious decorations allowed, but, here, hang this up to represent mine.

I think my favorite religious irony is that when a service member and her/his family is stationed in Saudi Arabia - they are dictated to leave their Bibles, Hanukkah/Christmas decos and any other religious paraphernalia at home or they WILL BE confiscated &/or destroyed. That includes the Rosary beads your Great-grandmother gave you - even if you don't practice Catholicism, and they're now more of an heirloom. If you're in SA for 2-4 years or more, the family Bible stays in storage - in America. The service member doing a tour for the United States has to follow the rules and customs of the host country. Period. No negotiations. No compromise. Just work with me here.

Now, someone from the Mideast (which I think should be what we call Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, etc. – because on a map it looks to me the mid-west is Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, etc... but who am I?) comes over here - we give them a foot-tub in public places, we bend over backwards not to insult their religious beliefs... we actually debate in court the practice of taking their picture with their burqa on for driver's licenses.

And, on that - taking Muslim women's pictures with their faces covered because it's against their culture/religion to show their faces in public... HELLLLOOOOOO!? It's against their culture/religion to DRIVE. Am I the only one who sees the irony in this?

Work with me here...

I'm not what you would call religious - but that doesn't mean I'm an atheist or agnostic either. It's not 'your way or a heathen (infidel - which, as you know, means non-Allah-believer) be.'

Just like when I lived in GA and the good Southerners learned I wasn’t from the South - the first statement from their mouths was "You must be a Yankee!" And, when I lived in NY, New Yorkers assumed I "must be from the south"...People - work with me here. There's a whole bunch of America WEST of the Mississippi River! It's got a Wal-mart and everythin'. (Check it out. You should have a map hanging around somewhere.)

More and more congressmen & women ask us to work with them to come to a compromise on health care, illegal immigration, and their annual pay raise... but what they're really saying is:

Get ready to bend over.

P(m)S. Did you ever notice Hillary smiles with her mouth open? A lot? Try going the whole, entire day like that.  Okay - try it for fifteen minutes, then. No wonder Bill hooked up with Monica. Hillary's poor mouth was always too tired by the end of the day. (to talk... what did you think I meant?)
.

9 comments:

Zeynab said...

I just need to make a correction to your post.
It's not against Islam to drive. Saudi Arabia is the only country that does not allow women to drive, and they put that under the banner of "tradition", not "Islam."

Sandra Miller Linhart said...

Or culture... but I concede your point. (I did not know that.)

Thanks.
Keep smiling
S

Sandra Miller Linhart said...

Now I'm saddened by losing the irony factor. *sigh*

Quick! Someone say something to make me laugh.
Please.
S

Sandra Miller Linhart said...

Common misconceptions: from website: http://www.submission.org/women/mis.html

(18) Muslim women are not allowed to drive: Again this is not Islamic law but rather a local tradition in some of these so called "Islamic" countries. Quran has no restriction on the women moving freely in the society, whether this includes riding a horse, driving a car or flying an aeroplane. Local laws that require the women to be accompanied by a male relative whenever they travel are traditional laws that have NO basis in the Quran.

Anonymous said...

I went to that site and look what I found:

(1)Muslim women have to wear the veil: This is a very common misconception, as Quran does not command the veil (Hijab). Wearing the veil is a tradition and is only supported by the man-made books of Hadiths and Sunna. These books do not represent the words of God in the Quran and on many occasions contradict them. Please see: Women Dress code in Islam.

so it seems to me your point of irony still exists.

you are welcomed.

Sandra Miller Linhart said...

Thank you so very much. I've learned much this week.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: You could fill a building with books full of stuff I don't know...

In Joy,
S

Anonymous said...

Negotiation (i.e. the steps I take to break you down) IS the compromise! The outcome only strengthens my position! Work with me here............

Sandra Miller Linhart said...

I wish I knew a way to pay someone every time they make me laugh... I guess I'll just have to pay you in compliments...

Well said... well said.
And, thank you :o)
s

Anonymous said...

Now that you mention it, those are pretty offensive words. Not a request to try to see other sides of a issue, just embrace my POV! NOW!

pass the popcorn, please!